m-u-f-c Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your assessment of Pogba so far?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoolander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with Pogba you can't ignore the fee. It's a world record, it's Ronaldo and Bale money and lets be honest he's not fit to lick their ring piece.

More than that though, we've now signed him twice. We spent good money trawling over to France to watch him, then we blatantly tapped him up, poached him and used a legal loophole to offer him a professional contract at 16 that he couldn't get in mainland Europe. Houses were bought for his family, cars were bought. He wasn't on a few quid a week like the apprentices he trained with, he was already on thousands and thousands of pounds a week. Then we settled with Le Havre out of court.

Lets not kid ourselves that is the ONLY reason he signed for United 1st time round - Money.

Then we don't put him in the 1st team, despite everyone saying he was a star of the future, Ferdinand said on the BBC during the summer that every single player at United knew how good he was but SAF our best ever manager doesn't play him.....I wonder why?

So he leaves for free, walks into the Juve' side on silly money (due to his free transfer) and wins 8 trophies in 4 years! He gets international caps, he gets a UEFA "golden boy" award for most promising young talent, he goes to a world cup and European championship.

Then despite not exactly setting that European championship alight we sign him for huge money. We're not in the champions league, other teams are so why chose to come back to Utd? Money? Did nobody else want him? Was it the easy choice for him, rather than rise to the challenge of Madrid or Munich for example?

Something doesn't add up for me, SAF was OK with him going, SAF saw something in him that made him think that not playing him and him moving on was OK for United long term.

Based on what I've seen so far this season we've been mugged by Juve (currently top of their league by 7 points with a game in hand and a better goal difference by the way) We couldn't get £8.9m for him at the moment.

He has no footballing brain, you know that imaginary mental picture that the top players talk about, when they know where everyone is. Yeah that, he doesn't have it.

He runs when he should pass, he passes when he should make a driving run. He leaves the ball when there is nobody behind him. He gives the ball away A LOT!

He isn't winning the ball back with crashing tackles, he isn't physically dominating people despite being a fit healthy 6 foot 3 inch professional athlete aged 24 at the peak of his prowess.

He sulked today, he was sullen and grumpy and thought it was unfair. What he didn't do was dig in, make it happen, force the result. In short he took his ball and went home to bed early.

It was easy for him in Italy because in Italy (like Spain and Germany and France) 75% of fixtures are piss easy. Well welcome to England where a team that has been utter dog shit since November can suddenly up their game and get a 1-1 draw away from home with only 10 men on the pitch for nearly 50 minutes.

He was an embarrassment to the club and the shirt today.
shifty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put zoo, I dont think theres anything there I can disagree with, I truly hope he goes on to prove us wrong but I really cant see it, I can see us off loading him in the summer for 30 million or so to psg or munich, where in an easier league he will be that clubs golden boy,
Stig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring his price - he doesn't shine. He looks average and would probably look so if he was playing alongside Fletcher at West Brom.

I really really hope that we coach him to be what were the club's expectations when he was bought.
m42her

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a talented player. He's got a bit too much going on off the field though.

He's been playing in a well drilled team in a set position for 4 years before coming to us. He's moved to a team where the players already there are struggling to show off their best form and are also getting used to a new manager. I think it's rich to expect him to be at his best amongst all that flux.

Aside from that, he's been played every game this year and had a long Euros. He's also come into a much more physically demanding league.

He might actually be in need of recuperation.

He's shown flashes of his best. Some of his link up play with Zlatan's been brilliant. He'll develop into the role.

Remember, Ronaldo took 2 years before he started to become who he ended up for us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last season Pogba made 49 appearances for Juve, plus 17 international appearances. He's already played 41 times for us this season and it's still only March.
The last few games, I reckon he's been looking fucked, maybe this enforced rest could be a godsend?
Bondurant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not exactly the fashion to wait a bit before passing judgement but we're only a few months in. I hope he will grow into a proper player. Only flashes this season but he could well add consistency to the promise. He isn't over the hill, he is a young player that will hopefully learn.

Some players are great immediately, some players take a bit of time. We paid huge money for him. We haven't seen a return in his first season, but let's see how he goes.
Zoolander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m42her wrote:

Remember, Ronaldo took 2 years before he started to become who he ended up for us.

But CR7 was a raw 18 year old with only a couple of years experience in the Portuguese league and his fee was less than a third of the record transfer fee at the time.

We were buying promise, a player that had never even been to the UK before and didn't have any international caps.

We HAVE to view Pogba in a different way, comparing him to Ronaldo is actually a bit of an insult, they couldn't be more different.

£90m for a 24 year old full international with 8 trophies to his name already is an entirely different prospect, to claim anything different is just clutching at straws.
Bondurant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's reasonable to allow anyone a season to adapt to the Premier League.
Stig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that, and the price is not his fault, but he has to work at it, and the staff have to look after him and coach him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: