m-u-f-c Message Board

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goals Against
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Stuck to his line again for Spain tonight I see.

https://youtu.be/Z-iJ2Cx2Hhg

How’s their goals conceded recently?

The first goal you could argue he could've been a yard further forward. But then look at what happened Sunday vs city... the only question we ask their keeper, he answers by charging out his goal and giving away a penalty, risking a booking or even a red. (Not suggesting he should've been sent off on this occasion, but it often happens when you recklessly charge out and miss the ball.

The second, he's travelled 4 yards across his goal. To attempt to claim it he would've had to travel a further 4 yards. No keeper is doing that.

The third, well he'd be disappointed with that, I'm sure. But it did come through a crowd and probably saw it late. With the standards he sets, he usually holds on to those. You'd struggle to find any keeper without a list of goals conceded like that.

I don't think anyone questions the weakness you highlighted, but he is far from a liability. Scholes couldn't tackle, vital for any midfielder imo, but no United supporter would call him a liability.

The first goal is the one that I’d have the major problem with, not that he had to come out like a wild man but to do for example what Darren Randolph (a keeper no where near the same league as De Gea) did for Ireland twice last night. He looks afraid to leave his line most of the time and it’s been happening consistently this season.

He’s one of the best around shot stopping wise. I’m not going to question that. I called him a liability for anything off his line, I stand by it. I think that United, when they are successful have a goalkeeper that can command his penalty box. He doesn’t do it.

We do not have any quick counter attacks like old where we had Schmeichel or Van der Sar claiming a ball, throwing it out and setting us away on a counter attack, because De Gea doesn’t do it or is incapable of it. Yet some on here bitch about our negative style of football.

Last night is just one of quite a few poor performances from him recently (Juve, the derby and Bournemouth) and what I’ve been saying is it isn’t helping our jittery defenders. But some can’t remove their tinted specs for a moment to see it. I guess they’re happy with us having the negative goal difference and wouldn’t like any improvement on it.
_________________
"This does not slip now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2438
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOFB wrote:


Last night is just one of quite a few poor performances from him recently (Juve, the derby and Bournemouth) and what I’ve been saying is it isn’t helping our jittery defenders. But some can’t remove their tinted specs for a moment to see it. I guess they’re happy with us having the negative goal difference and wouldn’t like any improvement on it.

This is where you do have a point.

He has been poor since the world cup. Confidence is clearly low and when a keeper is low on confidence they are always on the back foot.

DDG has been our number 1 for so long for a reason. You rarely see a keeper voted a clubs player of the year. He was awarded it two years running. I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented at this level?

He has played behind most of our defenders for many years now and got them out the shit. To turn the tables and blame him for the state of our defence now, because hes in a poor run of form is just daft. They've been shit for a while, but Dave bailed them out.

As for the counter attack argument, this squad seem incapable of getting the ball forward with speed. It's not just DDG. I'm certain we've scored many goals from counter attacks started by him.

I trust Dave more than I do any other player currently in a United shirt. He's in poorish form, but he's earned the right to have a poor season after so many outstanding ones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... thoughts on DDG after last nights game? Let’s not forget, he made a similar mistake against Sevilla that got us knocked out of the CL last season too.

Let me guess, I’m still in the minority... Wink
_________________
"This does not slip now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, if I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2438
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.
_________________
"This does not slip now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


Do you ever tire of being wrong? The whole of the football world thinks that DDG is one of the finest keepers in the world, you on the other hand think he’s a liability. The law of averages suggests you are wrong.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2438
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


My biggest problem I have with your argument... you've completely ignored the Moyes and LVG era where DDGs saves won us games. 2, 3, 4 world class saves a game.

You blame DDG for our poor defence... it was the same defence as last season. Our defensive record was pretty damn good. Where was the "liability" last season? Where was that defence that lacked all confidence in the keeper?

At least DOSR had the balls to question him when things were going well for the club. You've waiting till the majority of the squad to down tools or lose faith, confidence or morale before deciding to have a pop. It's easy to pick apart players when we are in the situation we are in. Let's judge him over his career with us, not one bad season where all our players have to take a share of the blame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


My biggest problem I have with your argument... you've completely ignored the Moyes and LVG era where DDGs saves won us games. 2, 3, 4 world class saves a game.

You blame DDG for our poor defence... it was the same defence as last season. Our defensive record was pretty damn good. Where was the "liability" last season? Where was that defence that lacked all confidence in the keeper?

At least DOSR had the balls to question him when things were going well for the club. You've waiting till the majority of the squad to down tools or lose faith, confidence or morale before deciding to have a pop. It's easy to pick apart players when we are in the situation we are in. Let's judge him over his career with us, not one bad season where all our players have to take a share of the blame

Disagree, you’re only looking at highlights of certain games to make your argument. Yes DDG has done well in certain games, of course he has, he’s a good shot stopper in a team that gives up chances! Even Shay Given looked good at Newcastle! DDG was making errors under Moyes and Van Gaal too. The last time we won a trophy we had a different goalkeeper in goal, so I don’t think I’m all that far off the mark.

I done blame him for the current poor defense, but he’s part of the blame. For you to suggest so is clearly wrong. Our defensive record last season wasn’t as a result of just De Gea, it was as a result of a strong defensive unit. Something which our manager has been criticized for (being too negative)!

Your last paragraph isn’t relevant. I’ve criticized long before this season. It’s just highlighted more now because I criticized him for the lead up to Ronaldo’s volley and some took offence to it.
_________________
"This does not slip now"


Last edited by TOFB on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubby wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


Do you ever tire of being wrong? The whole of the football world thinks that DDG is one of the finest keepers in the world, you on the other hand think he’s a liability. The law of averages suggests you are wrong.

Yet another pointless post without any valid argument. You can stay on the hype train, I’ll stick to what is going on on the pitch.
_________________
"This does not slip now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOFB wrote:
Chubby wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


Do you ever tire of being wrong? The whole of the football world thinks that DDG is one of the finest keepers in the world, you on the other hand think he’s a liability. The law of averages suggests you are wrong.

Yet another pointless post without any valid argument. You can stay on the hype train, I’ll stick to what is going on on the pitch.


There is a perfectly valid argument there, if everyone else thinks you're wrong then only the wilffuly ignorant and/or arrogant would still consider themselves right. There is no circumstance, past or present, in which DDG could be considered a liability and you pointing out the odd mistake he makes, comparing him to Ben Foster or any Newcastle keeper doesn't make you look any less like you've gone peak twatwaffle.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zoolander



Joined: 06 Mar 2004
Posts: 5945
Location: Duck Fat City Limits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be saying he's too thin, or his limb length makes his average reaction time too slow next.

DDG has been an excellent goalkeeper for us, he bears comparison to both Schmeichal and Van Der Sar. He is in net at a time when he doesn't have a world class back four in front of him and we aren't dominating teams, often beating them in the tunnel. He plays a very different football to any recent United keeper.

Put DDG in the team that VDS enjoyed and things would be very different.

By any measure he is a top keeper, certainly in the top 3-4 in the world at present. Anyone and everyone that is paid large amounts of money to be good at and knowledgeable about football agrees with this.

Then, in a far off corner of the world, on the outskirts of crazy town, just at the bottom of lullaby Lane, where the pixies & the unicorns live is you.....thinking your own thing and never, ever shutting up about it.

Change the record because A) you really are actually wrong and B) even if you're not, how many times has your approach actually made anyone ever change their mind?
_________________
The situation regarding spoons remains unchanged, if I see one, I will kill it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TOFB



Joined: 27 Jan 2004
Posts: 1988
Location: Cavan, Ireland

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubby wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Chubby wrote:
TOFB wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
It wasn't great from Dave, but how can he be expected to know where the ball was going when the scorer didn't either? He had to react but didn't do so quick enough.

It's a bit funny really.. you call for him to come of his line, but if he was on his line he would've saved it Wink

If your sticking with your "liability" argument, there are plenty of players I'd put ahead of him. I've said it before, he's having a bad seasons and low on confidence. It's Jose's job to re-install belief but lacks the ability to do so. That's one of the reasons it takes our players so long to recover from a poor individual performance

He’s supposed to be on his toes ready for anything that comes his way, especially in the box. That one certainly wasn’t one to come out for, but it was still an absolute schoolboy error.

He is an absolute liability for anything off his line. The ones he comes out for he’s struggling with and the ones he doesn’t come for he should be coming out for. With our current defensive situation that is absolutely no good having an unsure goalkeeper behind you.

As for blaming Mourinho for something that De Gea is struggling with for club and country, that kind of sums up this blind hype surrounding him. Rolling Eyes

He’s a shot stopper, that’s it. It’s what I’d expect from a Newcastle goalkeeper, but not at United. We should have a keeper that is an all rounder, especially if we have expectations of winning things.


Do you ever tire of being wrong? The whole of the football world thinks that DDG is one of the finest keepers in the world, you on the other hand think he’s a liability. The law of averages suggests you are wrong.

Yet another pointless post without any valid argument. You can stay on the hype train, I’ll stick to what is going on on the pitch.


There is a perfectly valid argument there, if everyone else thinks you're wrong then only the wilffuly ignorant and/or arrogant would still consider themselves right. There is no circumstance, past or present, in which DDG could be considered a liability and you pointing out the odd mistake he makes, comparing him to Ben Foster or any Newcastle keeper doesn't make you look any less like you've gone peak twatwaffle.

Ah very good, so popular opinion is the correct opinion is it? You must listen to plenty those all time classics by Justin Bieber and One Direction so. Utter tosh.

As pointed out, he’s a liability for anything of his line. Little to no contribution off it. The fact that this thread exists shows that there is a problem with the concession of goals at the club, yet you and others here clearly are doing a Baghdad Bob on it and ignoring the issues with him even though it has been pointed out repeatedly since I made the post after the Juve game.
_________________
"This does not slip now"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2438
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... you have your opinion. The rest of the world has theirs... let's just move on now. It's getting boring... Wink

I wonder what colour hair Pogba will have tomorrow?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3685

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
.... you have your opinion. The rest of the world has theirs... let's just move on now. It's getting boring... Wink

I wonder what colour hair Pogba will have tomorrow?


Mainly black I would say, but I’m sure TOFB would likely disagree.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group