m-u-f-c Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window of Opportunity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlsoRan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Window of Opportunity Reply with quote

After Moyes the first choice replacement manager was Ancelotti - the club settled for LVG when Ancelotti went to Madrid.
Now Ancelotti is available again is it worthwhile giving LVG the flick and hiring Ancelotti?
I know continuity is a tradition at Old Trafford but in my opinion, considering the money spent and the lack-lustre performances, we may as well change the manager again.
We had 5 managers between Sir Matt and Sir Alex before we got it right; after Sir Alex we haven't got it right yet, they play like Bolton.
m42her

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do t think Ancelotti has a real reputation for overhauling a redeveloping a side. We need that.

Besides he's taking a year out for back surgery. So the opportunity is gone.
Southern Red

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Window of Opportunity Reply with quote

AlsoRan wrote:
After Moyes the first choice replacement manager was Ancelotti - the club settled for LVG when Ancelotti went to Madrid.
Now Ancelotti is available again is it worthwhile giving LVG the flick and hiring Ancelotti?
I know continuity is a tradition at Old Trafford but in my opinion, considering the money spent and the lack-lustre performances, we may as well change the manager again.
We had 5 managers between Sir Matt and Sir Alex before we got it right; after Sir Alex we haven't got it right yet, they play like Bolton.

NOT A CHANCE!!!

At the start of the season champions league qualification was the target and it was a target we would have all been happy with.

Yes, at times the football was poor, but there were positives. We controlled possession in most games, our defence, despite being scarily poor on paper, actually conceded far fewer goals than we'd all expected. We done this with an ever changing squad due to injuries and only 2-3 players actually played to the level expected.

There is no denying there is work to do but with small tweeks here and there, next season we should be able to put in a decent title challenge, not suggesting we'd be able to win it mind. A lot of this seasons negatives have been psychological. When the pressure is off, or we are the underdog, we actually play well.

I wouldn't change manager now. Ancelotti failed to win a trophy this season with one of the best squads around. This is hardly a good advert for a rebuilding job. It is also far easier to coach a ready made squad than it is to build a new one. Just look at our mate Jose... No doubt he's got the best out of the players he has had, but has he come into a squad, ripped apart its core, and started again? And to use another example, how long did it take Fergie to build the United squad into league winners? It isn't done over night.

I am convinced LVG's job is to lay the foundations for Giggs to take over for the long term. Let's be a little bit more patient... And if, at this stage next year, we haven't improved massively on this season I don't think anybody will argue against looking at the managerial situation again.
Jackl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the overall point I might have gone for Ancelotti first because of the prospect of longevity but that has been lacking since ACM. I think we have the right manager for the next couple of years even though there is a lot of work to do. That last six matches was very unlike the United of the last twenty odd years. Honestly, I can't yet see the Giggs thing. I can see him being a manager / coach but there are half a dozen really top jobs in the football world and I am not sure what SR has seen in Giggsy which makes him think he is a contender for any of those?
Southern Red

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackl wrote:
On the overall point I might have gone for Ancelotti first because of the prospect of longevity but that has been lacking since ACM. I think we have the right manager for the next couple of years even though there is a lot of work to do. That last six matches was very unlike the United of the last twenty odd years. Honestly, I can't yet see the Giggs thing. I can see him being a manager / coach but there are half a dozen really top jobs in the football world and I am not sure what SR has seen in Giggsy which makes him think he is a contender for any of those?

I didn't say I saw anything that makes me think that. He is still learning. If LVG and Fergie are to be believed, the club will be in safe hands with him in charge. I'm still to be convinced but I'd love it to work.

There is not a single manager that ticks all the boxes for me. So, if Giggs earns the right to become manager, I'd rather he got it than it be given to somebody that will hang around until the next big job comes up.
AlsoRan

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware that it has ever been attempted but perhaps 3 joint managers. Giggs, Scholes & Gary Neville.
The theory is they would complement each other as they used to on the park.
Jackl

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlsoRan wrote:
Not that I'm aware that it has ever been attempted but perhaps 3 joint managers. Giggs, Scholes & Gary Neville.
The theory is they would complement each other as they used to on the park.

I bet Gary the Gob would be in charge in no time!

It's a nice idea but has the prospects of the end of a beautiful friendship.

I think that even in partnerships there has to be a first among equals but it would be great to buck the trend. Might even find room for Becks as head of PR.
tafkaf

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has AlsoRan been on the VB lately? Scholes, Neville & Giggs?

Fucking hell. In charge of United? I don't know where to start with everything that is wrong with that idea.
Bondurant

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a go Tafkaf, I could do with a laugh

I would like to add my vote to the 'it's a shit idea' box.
north country boy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafkaf wrote:
Has AlsoRan been on the VB lately? Scholes, Neville & Giggs?

Fucking hell. In charge of United? I don't know where to start with everything that is wrong with that idea.

Why stop there though, get the whole Treble XI in to manage the club, the more managers we have, the better the team will be Laughing
dark-shade-of-red

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pep waiting in the wings for when LvG retires in 2 years.

Cheerful Sid
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: