m-u-f-c Message Board

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luke Shaw

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jackl



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1097
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Luke Shaw Reply with quote

With all the talk of new players who don't arrive, this alleged flop from last year's window looks to me to have everything it takes to become a great player for us. He has power, pace, skill and I think he will acquire the judgment. I am impressed also by Darmian on the right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
john smith



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 6730

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it on good authority, he took a personal trainer on Holiday with him, and came back to training a week earlier than everyone else.

did you catch that Mr Rooney .....

"he took a personal trainer on Holiday with him, and came back to training a week earlier than everyone else."

Luke Shaw, has the potential to be a very very good Left back, I like him and his effort, I hope he stays injury free and becomes the next Arthur Albiston Cool Cool
_________________
People say I'm condescending. That means i talk down to people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red_Viking



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 1524

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john smith wrote:
I have it on good authority, he took a personal trainer on Holiday with him, and came back to training a week earlier than everyone else.

did you catch that Mr Rooney .....

"he took a personal trainer on Holiday with him, and came back to training a week earlier than everyone else."

Luke Shaw, has the potential to be a very very good Left back, I like him and his effort, I hope he stays injury free and becomes the next Arthur Albiston Cool Cool


He mentioned it on MUTV. Janjuaz also did the same thing when he went on holiday to Dubai. Good on them I say, 10+ years of commitment and then you can gorge yourself on cream cakes and beer for the rest of your life if you want. If they fulfil their potential they'll have enough money to do that.
_________________
Paul
____
UWS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2363
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many jobs in life where the employee has to keep themselves in good shape at all times. Very few of these jobs, if any, pay anywhere near as good as a wage of a professional sports person. I would argue that Shaw and Januzaj are not going that extra mile to ensure they are at their best. They are doing exactly what they are paid to do.. If the likes of Rooney don't wish to keep themselves fit, that's fine, but don't expect the club to pay you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jackl



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1097
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really sure about the Rooney thing. He doesn't look unfit physically but of course these are fine tuning things. Lethargy is however not always physical. I think he will come into his own because he is traditionally a mid season performer, always starting slowly, becoming much more explosive (although of course this diminishes over the years) and then tapering off towards the end so he doesn't influence end of season games and he is always off the pace for international tournaments (if anyone much cares).

That said he is not the player he was in say 2004 - 2007 and I feel a lot of his natural exuberance was coached out of him. From 2007 it was noticeable how the one trick pony turned into total stallion and simply pulled a furlong clear. In the years when Ronnie was decisive he was the difference between the title or the Champions League and second whereas in comparative terms Rooney was probably the difference between us failing and producing a decent finish to the season. I recall watching him at Wembley in the CL 2011 and he scored a great goal and was quite imperious at times but ultimately it availed us nothing.

I am no longer sure if that early promise was a mirage, or whether it was there but has been eroded by year's of indiscipline of a relatively minor but nonetheless critical nature. I do however think that he can and will still prove to have a major influence for this season. I doubt that is far away and I suspect he may be stung by the criticism he has received. I think he needs those stimuli.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
north country boy



Joined: 13 Aug 2004
Posts: 2792
Location: in the area

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackl wrote:
I am not really sure about the Rooney thing. He doesn't look unfit physically but of course these are fine tuning things. Lethargy is however not always physical. I think he will come into his own because he is traditionally a mid season performer, always starting slowly, becoming much more explosive (although of course this diminishes over the years) and then tapering off towards the end so he doesn't influence end of season games and he is always off the pace for international tournaments (if anyone much cares).

That said he is not the player he was in say 2004 - 2007 and I feel a lot of his natural exuberance was coached out of him. From 2007 it was noticeable how the one trick pony turned into total stallion and simply pulled a furlong clear. In the years when Ronnie was decisive he was the difference between the title or the Champions League and second whereas in comparative terms Rooney was probably the difference between us failing and producing a decent finish to the season. I recall watching him at Wembley in the CL 2011 and he scored a great goal and was quite imperious at times but ultimately it availed us nothing.

I am no longer sure if that early promise was a mirage, or whether it was there but has been eroded by year's of indiscipline of a relatively minor but nonetheless critical nature. I do however think that he can and will still prove to have a major influence for this season. I doubt that is far away and I suspect he may be stung by the criticism he has received. I think he needs those stimuli.


Doesn't look unfit physically? Are you on drugs? He looks like a fuckin darts player, not a footballer

"He's traditionally a mid-season player", that's fuckin criminal, for 300k a week he needs a few months to get goin? Fuck off, not good enough, if I'd 3 months off every summer n came back completely unfit for work I'd be sacked and it should be the same for that useless cunt.

He's not fit to wear the shirt, the fact he can barely fit into it should be enough for everyone to see this
_________________
4-4-2 > 3-5-2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Jackl



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1097
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that you have strong personal feelings on the subject but no, no drugs the last time I checked. It is simply that his stats don't support the fitness thing. His BMI of 24.6 is not great but it is certainly in the right range for his height and weight. As for the mid season thing it is a fact and isn't actually dependent on the size or weight of the wheelbarrow in which one takes home one's inflationary wages. Rooney doesn't physiologically have a second wind. There could be a lot of factors involved and it may be that he would definitely benefit from a mid season break.

As for him taking the highway, well, yes, okay, but it might be best if a replacement were found first.

Back, however, to Luke Shaw. Another big-boned guy but he is looking very good this season
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red_Viking



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 1524

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the club is using BMI to judge a player's fitness then God help us all.
_________________
Paul
____
UWS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jackl



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1097
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Viking wrote:
If the club is using BMI to judge a player's fitness then God help us all.


They will certainly be using it to judge fatness, which I think was the implication behind the darts player jibe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red_Viking



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Posts: 1524

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they'll be using actual body fat percentage, BMI results can be screwed by being muscular.

But Rooney just might not be as flexible as we and the pundits thought he would be. He seems to be just point blank refusing to play as a number 9. He should be working within the width of penalty box but he's anywhere but that.
_________________
Paul
____
UWS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jackl



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 1097
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Viking wrote:
I think they'll be using actual body fat percentage, BMI results can be screwed by being muscular.

But Rooney just might not be as flexible as we and the pundits thought he would be. He seems to be just point blank refusing to play as a number 9. He should be working within the width of penalty box but he's anywhere but that.


Okay. I accept that.

He isn't a 9. But whether he is refusing to play there begs the question of how he has got himself there in the first place. The lad in the class who has eased out all the competitors and now finds he has bitten off more than he can chew or just the guy who thinks I want to be this so I will try it?

LVG could of course be pandering to his ego in order to prove a point but this would be extremely Machiavellian. It might work in the long run but in Louis's short career it could prove counter-productive as I feel he is proud enough to want to do a good job and go out on a high.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group