m-u-f-c Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Snow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
Well, since the referendum everything bad that has happened has been blamed on brexit but the good news has nothing to do with brexit as article 50 had not been triggered yet.

A lot of talk about a divided nation etc, but we were divided before Brexit. In fact Brexit/referendum happened because we were divided.

The biggest problem the country now faces, as well as the negotiations etc, is those who seem determined to want Brexit to be a failure so they can brag "I told you so". It's done, move on and let's make the best of it.

Do you think exclusively in cliches?

"Everything bad that has happened has been blamed on brexit" - I can't remember much bad happening. The pound fell. Big fucking deal. And if that's an example of bad news, it would be hard to see how you wouldn't blame that on the referendum.
There have been many examples of 'the brexit effect' as a result of the pound falling. Costs rising etc, and yes, there is no doubt brexit caused this. But there is very little mention of the positives of a lower pound.

"The good news has nothing to do with brexit" - I can't remember much good happening, either. Did we destroy ISIS? Solve climate change? Fix the NHS? Reform the financial system? I must have been asleep.
Where was the recession that was predicted? Our economy is still growing. Many countries have put themselves forward for new trade deals. Businesses are still signing huge deals despite Brexit being on the horizon.

"Brexit/referendum happened because we were divided." - Or maybe it was the ploy of a few haughty overgrown schoolchildren trying to get one over each other? The idea that Cameron, May, Gove, Farage etc. give much of a shit about what "we" think is amusing. ...and that is part of the problem. Denial. The politicians you mentioned noticed the divions and used it to their advantage, splitting us further.

"The biggest problem the country now faces, as well as the negotiations etc, is those who seem determined to want Brexit to be a failure so they can brag "I told you so"."

Yes, that's the biggest problem this country faces. Not climate change. Not the near decimation of public services. Not an insane employment market. Not a financial sector practically desperate for another crash. No, it's a bunch of gormless bellends spitefully commenting on the internet.
Climate change? The EU is not going to stop this. There are many climate change organisations the UK are part of and we will continue to work with other nations.

As for the predictions of financial crash, jobs etc... they are predictions that, if the remainers were to be believed, would have already been upon us. The truth is, nobody really knows. I prefer to live a life of glass half full. But I'm sure there are many who would rather see doom and gloom than accept that leaving was the right decision.

"It's done, move on and let's make the best of it."

I rest my case...
This debate has been done time and time again. We will never agree. Only time will tell.

Thank you for confirming my original point in such great detail. You haven't an original thought on this entire issue up to the point that you seem to have mistaken my post as a defence of Remain. You don't have to be Nic to know that I am an enormous critic of the EU.

"There have been many examples of 'the brexit effect' as a result of the pound falling. Costs rising etc, and yes, there is no doubt brexit caused this. But there is very little mention of the positives of a lower pound." Why do you care? The whole point about financial markets is that they are temporary and unstable. The people who make real money out of these things do not want stability. Things will change. This will go up, that will go down. So what? Stupid measure of anything more than investors' whims.

"Where was the recession that was predicted? Our economy is still growing. Many countries have put themselves forward for new trade deals. Businesses are still signing huge deals despite Brexit being on the horizon."

Practically a copy and paste from any other comment below the line or on Twitter. The growth is paltry and is based on a very volatile financial sector as well as an insane housing and construction market. You don't need to have a drive through London to see that the construction market in this country is crazy. That's your idea of growth and good news? Fuck me. Yes, some countries have put themselves forward for trade deals, like India. A subcontinent of 1.25 billion people that wants...oh, yes...freedom of movement. Some businesses are signing big deals, others are leaving. Does any of this register with you?

"Climate change? The EU is not going to stop this. There are many climate change organisations the UK are part of and we will continue to work with other nations." The EU has done more for climate change than this country has and - given the tenor of the last couple of governments - possibly ever will. The climate change organisations in the UK tend to be wildly pessimistic about the UK's role. That should tell you something.

"As for the predictions of financial crash, jobs etc... they are predictions that, if the remainers were to be believed, would have already been upon us. The truth is, nobody really knows. I prefer to live a life of glass half full. But I'm sure there are many who would rather see doom and gloom than accept that leaving was the right decision."

Yep, stupid people said stupid things. WHY DO YOU CARE? A lot of Leavers are also predicting things will be so much better when we leave. Why are they more reliable than Remainers? Solely because they happen to agree with you? I'd believe your claim that you genuinely accept that "nobody really knows" if you didn't contradict yourself by saying others should "accept that leaving was the right decision". How do you know it was right? It hasn't even happened yet and you know it was right. What are next week's lottery numbers, Mystic Megson?

"We will never agree. Only time will tell." Amen - I hope I never agree with the conventional nonsense in opinion pieces, Twitter etc. And I hope you don't, either.

This is friendly criticism, but do yourself a huge favour and stop reading the papers, opinion pieces, whatever nonsense you read.

Cheerful Sid
Southern Red

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
Well, since the referendum everything bad that has happened has been blamed on brexit but the good news has nothing to do with brexit as article 50 had not been triggered yet.

A lot of talk about a divided nation etc, but we were divided before Brexit. In fact Brexit/referendum happened because we were divided.

The biggest problem the country now faces, as well as the negotiations etc, is those who seem determined to want Brexit to be a failure so they can brag "I told you so". It's done, move on and let's make the best of it.

"Everything bad that has happened has been blamed on brexit" - I can't remember much bad happening. The pound fell. Big fucking deal. And if that's an example of bad news, it would be hard to see how you wouldn't blame that on the referendum.
There have been many examples of 'the brexit effect' as a result of the pound falling. Costs rising etc, and yes, there is no doubt brexit caused this. But there is very little mention of the positives of a lower pound.

"The good news has nothing to do with brexit" - I can't remember much good happening, either. Did we destroy ISIS? Solve climate change? Fix the NHS? Reform the financial system? I must have been asleep.
Where was the recession that was predicted? Our economy is still growing. Many countries have put themselves forward for new trade deals. Businesses are still signing huge deals despite Brexit being on the horizon.

"Brexit/referendum happened because we were divided." - Or maybe it was the ploy of a few haughty overgrown schoolchildren trying to get one over each other? The idea that Cameron, May, Gove, Farage etc. give much of a shit about what "we" think is amusing. ...and that is part of the problem. Denial. The politicians you mentioned noticed the divions and used it to their advantage, splitting us further.

"The biggest problem the country now faces, as well as the negotiations etc, is those who seem determined to want Brexit to be a failure so they can brag "I told you so"."

Yes, that's the biggest problem this country faces. Not climate change. Not the near decimation of public services. Not an insane employment market. Not a financial sector practically desperate for another crash. No, it's a bunch of gormless bellends spitefully commenting on the internet.
Climate change? The EU is not going to stop this. There are many climate change organisations the UK are part of and we will continue to work with other nations.

As for the predictions of financial crash, jobs etc... they are predictions that, if the remainers were to be believed, would have already been upon us. The truth is, nobody really knows. I prefer to live a life of glass half full. But I'm sure there are many who would rather see doom and gloom than accept that leaving was the right decision.

I rest my case...
This debate has been done time and time again. We will never agree. Only time will tell.

Thank you for confirming my original point in such great detail. You haven't an original thought on this entire issue up to the point that you seem to have mistaken my post as a defence of Remain. You don't have to be Nic to know that I am an enormous critic of the EU.

"There have been many examples of 'the brexit effect' as a result of the pound falling. Costs rising etc, and yes, there is no doubt brexit caused this. But there is very little mention of the positives of a lower pound." Why do you care? The whole point about financial markets is that they are temporary and unstable. The people who make real money out of these things do not want stability. Things will change. This will go up, that will go down. So what? Stupid measure of anything more than investors' whims.

"Where was the recession that was predicted? Our economy is still growing. Many countries have put themselves forward for new trade deals. Businesses are still signing huge deals despite Brexit being on the horizon."

Practically a copy and paste from any other comment below the line or on Twitter. The growth is paltry and is based on a very volatile financial sector as well as an insane housing and construction market. You don't need to have a drive through London to see that the construction market in this country is crazy. That's your idea of growth and good news? Fuck me. Yes, some countries have put themselves forward for trade deals, like India. A subcontinent of 1.25 billion people that wants...oh, yes...freedom of movement. Some businesses are signing big deals, others are leaving. Does any of this register with you?

"Climate change? The EU is not going to stop this. There are many climate change organisations the UK are part of and we will continue to work with other nations." The EU has done more for climate change than this country has and - given the tenor of the last couple of governments - possibly ever will. The climate change organisations in the UK tend to be wildly pessimistic about the UK's role. That should tell you something.

"As for the predictions of financial crash, jobs etc... they are predictions that, if the remainers were to be believed, would have already been upon us. The truth is, nobody really knows. I prefer to live a life of glass half full. But I'm sure there are many who would rather see doom and gloom than accept that leaving was the right decision."

Yep, stupid people said stupid things. WHY DO YOU CARE? A lot of Leavers are also predicting things will be so much better when we leave. Why are they more reliable than Remainers? Solely because they happen to agree with you? I'd believe your claim that you genuinely accept that "nobody really knows" if you didn't contradict yourself by saying others should "accept that leaving was the right decision". How do you know it was right? It hasn't even happened yet and you know it was right. What are next week's lottery numbers, Mystic Megson?

"We will never agree. Only time will tell." Amen - I hope I never agree with the conventional nonsense in opinion pieces, Twitter etc. And I hope you don't, either.

This is friendly criticism, but do yourself a huge favour and stop reading the papers, opinion pieces, whatever nonsense you read.

Reading the papers? I haven't done that in years. Yes, I listen to debates and opinions and I weight up the arguments and draw my own conclusions.

Look, to put it simply, in fucking sick of it. All I hear is negativity. 'Celebs' and the media claiming I (we) have ruined the country. We are just as likely to have our streets paved with gold as heading into a deep depression and all dieing of starvation. We will probably end up pretty much as we are now.
Southern Red

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:
Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:

I rest my case...

Reading the papers? I haven't done that in years. Yes, I listen to debates and opinions and I weight up the arguments and draw my own conclusions.

Look, to put it simply, in fucking sick of it. All I hear is negativity. 'Celebs' and the media claiming I (we) have ruined the country. We are just as likely to have our streets paved with gold as heading into a deep depression and all dieing of starvation. We will probably end up pretty much as we are now.
Red Snow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle I agree but your brexiteering rhetoric contradicts your alleged nuance. I don't quite buy it.

Good luck to us all.

Cheerful Sid
Jackl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eurovision Song Contest was pure Irish wit.

The big boys in Brussels was surely not intended seriously?

The Germans are going to have another go at master racing? And who precisely will be at this party?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: