m-u-f-c Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarzinio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Player costs Reply with quote

I was always thought what ever a player cost, whatever his agent managed to squeeze out of a club in wages and signing on fees was acceptable and if was signed by us and he scored that screamer in the last minute, that we have all see, he was worth every fucking penny
If everyone thinks that you are worth it I have no problem in any player earning £200,000 a week+
Now my mind is changing.
I appreciate that the world sees the Premiership awash with cash but for fucks sake some of the transfer demands are, in my opinion ridiculous.
I realise that some may just be paper talk, Neymar for example, but some clubs are asking and clubs are paying.
We have been linked with Matic for weeks and allegedly we have bid £35 million but Chelski are looking for £50 million.
He may be an excellent addition but £50 million for a 28 year old!?
The transfer market has gone fuckin nuts
No doubt in small parts by the fact that players can go to China and get paid £100 a minute
Maybe if Matis scores that last minute screamer I will change my mind again but at present the transfer world is fucking ridiculous
Southern Red

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The market is out of control. It's beyond the bitching about the likes of city and the rent boys now. We are equally as bad.

I complained about the cost of Lukaku a few weeks ago. On refelection it just seems to be the going rate. Transfer asking prices seem to have leapped by about £20m over night and I had not noticed.

The art of scouting has been lost, it has at United anyway. Finding an unknown player and turning them into one of the best players in the world is gone. I can't help but think the quality of player may start to decline, as teams focus less on improving players and rely on buying 'proven'/'attractive sounding' players.

Going slightly of topic, look at the success of the England youth teams this summer. I've never heard of most of these lads. If this had been a Spanish, German etc teams we'd see PL clubs bidding upwards of £20m for the key players in those teams.
dark-shade-of-red

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the sudden dramatic rise in player costs, is that Griezmann will now cost double what we were likely to have paid.

I can't get my head around Mbappe potential fee.

Cheerful Sid
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm
Sol the Red

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This price inflation is an exact parallel to what happened in the financial markets prior to 2008. Utterly irrational behaviour, based on the assumption that the market conditions will continue like this for ever. Well markets don't. Markets are just a place where buyer and seller's get to express their fear and greed. And they have cycles where one emotion dominates the other. When the balance between fear and greed gets too far out of kilter, you can be sure there is a violent correction the other way coming.

Sooner or later the market prices will crash. Probably when one of the big European clubs goes bust or one of the billionaire owners gets a bullet for breakfast. At which time there wil be blood everywhere and a lot of clubs wil be left holding players for whom they've paid lunatic sums of money, unable to sell them without posting huge losses of their own. It won't be pretty.

Anything else is just piss and wind."

Cheerful Sid
Stig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so.
john smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sol the Red wrote:
This price inflation is an exact parallel to what happened in the financial markets prior to 2008. Utterly irrational behaviour, based on the assumption that the market conditions will continue like this for ever. Well markets don't. Markets are just a place where buyer and seller's get to express their fear and greed. And they have cycles where one emotion dominates the other. When the balance between fear and greed gets too far out of kilter, you can be sure there is a violent correction the other way coming.

Sooner or later the market prices will crash. Probably when one of the big European clubs goes bust or one of the billionaire owners gets a bullet for breakfast. At which time there wil be blood everywhere and a lot of clubs wil be left holding players for whom they've paid lunatic sums of money, unable to sell them without posting huge losses of their own. It won't be pretty.

2 words Sol

lids united

the club nearly died (no great loss I know ) and they've not recovered yet
Southern Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neymar!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If this gets through FFP.... what's the point...

I would laugh a bit if Neymar got himself a career ending injury in his first game for PSG*. Just to put it all into perspective. May make teams think twice before doing it again.. it won't of course, but we can hope.

*obviously I don't actually want to see it happen... I would just like to see it bite a club on the arse.
dark-shade-of-red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but did United start the trend off in spending big money on players close to 30?

RvP for 23 million at the time was considered a bit daft given his injuries and age + having one year left on his contract.

It obviously worked out brilliantly, but £40 mill for Matic at age 29 might not. There again, he's not there to score the goals.

Cheerful Sid
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm
Stig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does it work ?

I heard something that Qatar is paying off his contract to keep the transaction within Fair Play.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me.
Nicolae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sol the Red wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

When one club holds the top three PL transfers fees ever paid (Pogba, Lukaku & Di Maria for £1/4 BILLION combined) and last season paid the highest wages

1. Manchester United – £232m
2. Chelsea – £224m
3. Murdering Scum – £208m
4. Manchester City – £198m
5. Arsenal – £195m

how are the rest of the teams supposed to compete?

The PL / UEFA need to get a grip of this sort of spending, it's killing football

Wink
Southern Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nic and his statistics... Laughing

Net spend, last 5 years (based on the first page that popped up on a goodie search Wink)
City £575m
United £397m
Arsenal £237m

...you were saying????
Nicolae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
Ah, nic and his statistics... Laughing

Net spend, last 5 years (based on the first page that popped up on a goodie search Wink)
City £575m
United £397m
Arsenal £237m

...you were saying????

Hmmm, not sure about that figure. This one says City have outspent United by just c£2.5M (ish) a season

Last edited by Nicolae on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicolae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not one for stats (as you know) Wink but I can give you these FACHTS

So far this decade, the 7 season combined PL table shows:

Manchester City

Highest Ave position

Only team in top 4 every year

Most home wins

Fewest home defeats

Most home goals for

Fewest home goals against

Best home GD

Most home points

Most away wins

Most away goals for

Best away GD

Most away points

Most points overall

Best GD overall

Manchester United

Fewest away defeats

Chelsea

Fewest away goals against

and yes, I realise it's about winning it, but for consistency.....

[/u]
Southern Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolae wrote:

Manchester City

Highest Ave position

Most home wins

Fewest home defeats

Most home goals for

Best home GD

Most home points

Most away wins

Most away goals for

Best away GD

Most away points

Most points overall

Best GD overall

Manchester United

Fewest away defeats

Chelsea

Fewest away goals against

and yes, I realise it's about winning it, but for consistency.....

[/u]

I'm not an expert at fishing, but if you wanna catch a good'un you'll need better bait than that... Rolling Eyes

Wink
m42her

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicolae wrote:

Manchester City

Highest Ave position

Most home wins

Fewest home defeats

Most home goals for

Best home GD

Most home points

Most away wins

Most away goals for

Best away GD

Most away points

Most points overall

Best GD overall

Yet still, so few people turn up to see this litany of success.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: