m-u-f-c Message Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Champions League upsets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Snow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Champions League upsets Reply with quote

OK, so the cunts beating shitty doesn't come as that great a shock given the 4-3 beating they gave them and given that shitty have now been found out for having a more glaring weakness than was previously thought.

But, blimey, Barca and Real very nearly both got dumped out of the CL against teams who you would have thought they had comfortable beaten in the first leg.

What's going on? Is it just complacency from both teams? I doubt it. Real may have flopped this season's La Liga but can complacency really account for conceding three and getting bailed out in the last second? And Barca, 3 goals conceded with no reply? Surely not - but then again I didn't watch either of those second legs, thinking them foregone conclusions.

Or is there something more fundamental? Are the defences of the great European teams a lot weaker than previously thought? Or have we just seen a blip? A temporary gap accounted for the ageing of the great players of the last few years, and normal service will be resumed next season?

What do the great intellects of this hallowed board think? No postcard answers, please. Let's have some hard, scientific answers of the type DSOR is famous for.

Cheerful Sid
john smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watched both games and Madrid and Barca both turned up and thought they could simply play it out and they had already done enough.

no ramos was reals biggest problem.

the fact is , this is all going exactly where we don't want it to. vermin will draw roma and beat them in the semi.
they will then play Bayern in the final and win on penalties .

and we will never hear the fucking last of it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Dee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramos was a huge miss for Real last night. I still think if Bayern and Real played to their potential, they'd be too much for THEM. THEY are already playing at their maximum.

PLEASE DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN!

"The only player who ever made me feel inferior" - Sir Bobby Charlton.
Southern Red

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the away goals rule has a bit of an effect. On the one hand you have teams shit scared of conceeding an away goal they sacrifice everything to prevent them scoring. On the other you have teams that will risk everything to get that away goal. It forces managers to rethink tactics and as a result they possibly tinker too much with their team rather than sticking with the formula that works in the league.

...and for the record I think it's an outdated rule.
Red Snow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:
I think the away goals rule has a bit of an effect. On the one hand you have teams shit scared of conceeding an away goal they sacrifice everything to prevent them scoring. On the other you have teams that will risk everything to get that away goal. It forces managers to rethink tactics and as a result they possibly tinker too much with their team rather than sticking with the formula that works in the league.

I disagree. I think it's a good rule. If you're right about these upsets bring down to away goals, doesn't that make it for a better, more interesting competition?

Cheerful Sid
Southern Red

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Snow wrote:
Southern Red wrote:

I disagree. I think it's a good rule. If you're right about these upsets bring down to away goals, doesn't that make it for a better, more interesting competition?

In theory yes. But, the home team quite often becomes the defensive team. This isn't right imo. Also, the fact that 1 lucky goal, a goal completely against the run of play etc, can see the better team getting knocked out as they can't counter the away goal advantage, is wrong.

The competition can be equally interesting without it.
Jackl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a tad over hyped this year. It's pretty clear that none of the top teams, even the four running away with their leagues, had strengthened much. The only big improver was City and they were caught by going for too much and having too many crucial matches together.

In any year when you get through to the group stages there isn't a great deal between the teams and ten or twelve of them could make the semis with a fair wind. It depends on the luck of the draw, whether you get an opponent that suits your style, whether you are lacking confidence at that moment or in the kind of form that makes you over-confident.

It's a bit of a lottery how you arrive in April / May and the leagues where the teams have weaker competition have a significant advantage. Not much science in it really.
john smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john smith wrote:
i watched both games and Madrid and Barca both turned up and thought they could simply play it out and they had already done enough.

no ramos was reals biggest problem.

the fact is , this is all going exactly where we don't want it to. vermin will draw roma and beat them in the semi.
they will then play Bayern in the final and win on penalties .

and we will never hear the fucking last of it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

please god let me be wrong .

and don't anyone fucking dare come on and say how they will lose, that happened 13 years ago and certain members said then "they won't win it " Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad
Jackl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only worry about ourselves but for what it's worth Roma would have chosen that tie too.

All the more annoying that we didn't go for this with a little more conviction, try to be the best we could be.
dark-shade-of-red

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Champions League upsets Reply with quote

Red Snow wrote:
OK, so the cunts beating shitty doesn't come as that great a shock given the 4-3 beating they gave them and given that shitty have now been found out for having a more glaring weakness than was previously thought.

But, blimey, Barca and Real very nearly both got dumped out of the CL against teams who you would have thought they had comfortable beaten in the first leg.

What's going on? Is it just complacency from both teams? I doubt it. Real may have flopped this season's La Liga but can complacency really account for conceding three and getting bailed out in the last second? And Barca, 3 goals conceded with no reply? Surely not - but then again I didn't watch either of those second legs, thinking them foregone conclusions.

Or is there something more fundamental? Are the defences of the great European teams a lot weaker than previously thought? Or have we just seen a blip? A temporary gap accounted for the ageing of the great players of the last few years, and normal service will be resumed next season?

What do the great intellects of this hallowed board think? No postcard answers, please. Let's have some hard, scientific answers of the type DSOR is famous for.

I think we'd like some hard, scientific answers from you first, RS... Laughing

Cheerful Sid
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: