m-u-f-c Message Board

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a thought....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2437
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Just a thought.... Reply with quote

... winning the CL is well beyond our capabilities. With that, and the fact top four is probably going to be out of reach, should we cut our losses and aim to 'qualify' for the EL by coming 3rd in our group, in the hope we can win that and get CL football next season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3682

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning anything in Europe is a tall order with our defenders, but the aim has to be to reach the knockout stages of the Champions League. Hopefully we'll get a defender or two in during the January window and we can push on for a top four finish. We're 3 points behind Arsenal, who many talk about as having the potential for a top four finish. There is no reason why we should give up on the league and the Champions League and put all of our eggs in the Europa basket.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jarzinio



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 855
Location: Manchesterish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who we buy, if anybody, in January
The likelihood is that the player/players will be Europe tied. If that is the case they will be an asset but only in the Premiership top four.
We could look at players not involved in Europe but I doubt they will marque players and at best average
_________________
Mobile phones ringing in the pockets of the dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2437
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarzinio wrote:
Depends on who we buy, if anybody, in January
The likelihood is that the player/players will be Europe tied. If that is the case they will be an asset but only in the Premiership top four.
We could look at players not involved in Europe but I doubt they will marque players and at best average

I pretty sure 'coz the EL and CL are different competitions, playing in one doesn't cup tie you for the other. This would open the door for any potential new players currently in the CL to play for us in the EL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Desert Moloch



Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 234
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Red wrote:

I pretty sure 'coz the EL and CL are different competitions, playing in one doesn't cup tie you for the other. This would open the door for any potential new players currently in the CL to play for us in the EL.


That's a moot point anyways as UEFA have scrapped the Cup Tied rule from all their competitions. Barca complained/whined enough about buying Coutinho in January and not being able to play him in the Champions League knock-out rounds...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Southern Red



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 2437
Location: Haywards Heath

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Moloch wrote:
Southern Red wrote:

I pretty sure 'coz the EL and CL are different competitions, playing in one doesn't cup tie you for the other. This would open the door for any potential new players currently in the CL to play for us in the EL.


That's a moot point anyways as UEFA have scrapped the Cup Tied rule from all their competitions. Barca complained/whined enough about buying Coutinho in January and not being able to play him in the Champions League knock-out rounds...

Had no idea they'd scrapped it. Pleased to hear it as never liked that rule
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Chubby



Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 3682

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea they’d scrapped it either. Shocked

It makes sense to scrap it. Given there are transfer windows in place then there can’t be any real threat of dubious transfer dealings that advantage or disadvantage a team immediately prior to a big cup game, which I’m sure it was in place to prevent.
_________________
Nic... I dare say you could kick everyone's arse on Mastermind with United as your specialist subject.... Pedantic wank-wipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    m-u-f-c.co.uk Forum Index -> m-u-f-c General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group